Today is also the one year anniversary of the death of Father John Rikteraitis, who served as an assistant pastor in St. Casimir's parish when Vaiva was a girl in New Haven. He co-celebrated our marriage at St. Casimir's, and I have a photo of that but my scanner isn't working.
My memory is hazy on this, but Father Rikteraitis presided at the first communion for some of our children, I think the twins, but perhaps it was Aras. Perhaps they can enlighten me. I know that he presided at the funeral of Vaiva's aunt, Lijole Zidonis, and did a wonderful job.
He was a great guy, and he smoked cigars at least occasionally. He was a good priest, old school, in the sense that he enjoyed knowing people and interacting with them. He was not aloof. Through his exceptional efforts a Lithuanian Wayside Cross stands in Hartford on the grounds of the Cathedral.
Yesterday I attended the memorial mass in his honor at his final parish, St. Andrews in New Britain. It was very good, very appropriate. I'll post his photo when the scanner is working again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment