Vaiva was a voracious reader. Each year she clipped the New York Times Book Review list of the best books of the year, and that was her reading list for the following year. My task was to find the books for her at the Russell Library. I felt another pang of loss when I saw the 2008 list published.
Vaiva loved mysteries, and lately she was reading, among others, the series by Bruce Alexander that featured Sir John Fielding. Sir John was an actual magistrate who helped form the first professional police force (wiki entry here). What's more, he was blind.
I don't have much time for reading, and I am not as fast as Vaiva was, so she suggested that I listen to the tapes of Persons or Persons Unknown, her favorite title in the series. We put a hold on the title sometime last autumn, because it was a popular one, and I forgot all about it. Last week I got the note from the Russell that it was finally available for me to pick up.
I've listened to the book, and it's very good, and read well, although rather more grisly than I expected. Vaiva hated horror movies, but wasn't so squeamish when it came to books. I never really understood that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment