Thursday, May 14, 2009

Vaiva meets her Kaunas relatives

Note the picture on the wall behind Vaiva in both photos. It depicts the chemical engineering laboratory that Vaiva's father helped to design, architected by Landsbergis, where he worked until he was taken by the Nazis. Made of inlaid wood, this treasure was carefully preserved by the family through the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s as a memorial of Vaiva's father. It hangs in Durham now.

The man standing is Leonas Raciunas. I believe he was the husband of Vaiva's father's sister, Teresa.

2 comments:

  1. I am saddened to learn of Vaiva's death. Vaiva and I were students together at Wilbur Cross High School. Although I graduated the year before Vaiva, in 1970, we had many classes together. Her intelligence was striking. At the time, Vaiva and her family attended Saint Casimir Church on Green Street in New Haven. I have never forgotten her. I will remember her at Holy Mass. Please accept my heartfelt expression of sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Mark--

    You will be pleased to learn that Vaiva and I were married in St. Casimir's parish, and our four children were baptized there. We remained active parishioners long after we moved out of New Haven.

    Right up until the day the diocese unceremniously shut it down, though it was not in financial distress.

    Thanks for the comment. Thanks also for the link to your interesting blog.

    Jim Gust

    ReplyDelete