Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

The November roses, pictured two posts below, are still in bloom, still lovely.

I've been going through the family photo albums, haven't had time to post, haven't had much new to say. The approaching one-year anniversary weighs heavily upon me.

One year ago, Vaiva was still lucid, recovering from her mastectomy, participating in Thanksgiving. If you use Skype for your instant messaging, as we did, you have an archive of those "conversations." I've been reading mine with Vaiva from a year ago. They are mundane, inconsequential, heart-breakingly ordinary.

They have no hint that death is imminent.

Below is a page from mid-November. Vaiva's final garden—she was a prodigious gardener—was perhaps her most abundant ever. She planted brussels sprouts in 2008, and was successful beyond all expectations. I was tasked with giving away "excess" produce at the office, and that's the subject of the IM. I think you can click on it to make it big enough to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment