Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spirga has died

We've owned four dogs while we've lived in Durham. The first, Sargis, was a mix of German shepherd and Australian sheepdog. Second was Spirga, a purebred yellow lab that we bought on an impulse. Fellow Merrill Andersonian Tom Gerrity had done quite a bit of research to find a reputable breeder of high-quality Labradors in Connecticut, and I jumped on his bandwagon to take the last of a litter.

Lokys just called to say Spirga died today. She has been suffering for some time, from arthritis and hip displasia. Last night she went out to the field and didn't come back, suggesting to us that she was going out to die. However, Lokys went out with a flashlight and found her, and she walked home with him. She took breakfast this morning before I left for work. But she stopped breathing about lunchtime. I think she was about 14 years old, so this is not unexpected or tragic. (Confirmed: The vet reports she was born in 1995, according to his records,)

Vaiva was a major pet person, of course, but she had a special bond with Spirga. During the first bout with cancer, when Vaiva was weakened first with radiation and then with chemo, Spirga seemed to sense something bad going on. She would rest her head on Vaiva's lap and exhibit other new behaviors that seemed intended to comfort Vaiva--or at any rate, they did give Vaiva comfort.

The photo above was taken last summer, with the newest dog, Vover (we also have a black Lab, Puodas). I have earlier photos of Spirga at home that I will post tonight.

Another sad day in the Vebra/Gust household.

No comments:

Post a Comment